For centuries, people have relied on essential oils for their known hair properties and benefits. Recently in modern times, their natural and nourishing properties have made them a sought-after component in commercial hair care products. There are many ways in which essential oils can improve hair health, from encouraging new growth to fortifying individual strands and calming an irritated scalp. They are also useful for preventing dandruff and moisturizing dry hair. The list is endless proving them to be a powerhouse in hair care.
Sadly, a lot of hair care products today normally contain synthetic chemicals that can be damaging to the hair and scalp. The more natural approach with essential oils is a more gentle and nourishing option because they are derived from plants and haven’t undergone a lot of chemical processes. You can use them as a leave-in treatment, as an add-on in shampoos and conditioners, or even mixed as a detangler or shine serum. Essential oils have the potential to enhance hair’s health and appearance when used regularly as part of a hair care routine. Not to mention, many essential oils are calming and stress-reducing, so using them can also be a pleasant aromatherapeutic experience. In conclusion, essential oils are a great addition to any hair care routine because they work well without compromising your health in the long run.
One such effective hair oil comes from the Boswellia tree, native to the Middle East and Africa- the source of the frankincense essential oil that is so widely used today. For centuries, it has been treasured for its restorative effects, and in recent years, it has found widespread use as a skincare and hair care product.
According to Healthline, frankincense essential oil has been shown to have a wide range of therapeutic properties, including antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial effects. These properties make it a popular choice for use in natural health remedies and beauty products.
In addition to its therapeutic properties, frankincense essential oil is also rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the hair and scalp from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage cells and contribute to aging and disease.
One study, found that frankincense essential oil had a protective effect against oxidative stress, which is a common cause of hair damage and hair loss. The study concluded that frankincense essential oil could be a useful ingredient in natural hair care products due to its antioxidant properties.
Overall, frankincense essential oil is a promising natural ingredient for hair care. Its therapeutic properties and antioxidant content make it a popular choice for those looking for natural alternatives to commercial hair care products. In the following sections, we will explore the specific benefits of frankincense essential oil for hair and how to use it safely and effectively.
In this article, I’ll discuss how frankincense oil helps your hair and why it deserves a spot in your arsenal.
Frankincense oil helps your hair to grow much faster.
There are many ways in which hair oil can aid in stimulating hair growth. To begin, hair oil has been shown to promote healthy hair growth by nourishing and moisturizing the scalp. A well-hydrated scalp is less prone to dryness, itching, and flakiness, which can inhibit hair growth. Some hair oils also include vitamins and fatty acids that are crucial to a healthy scalp and robust hair growth. For instance, the vitamin E in frankincense oil can make hair less prone to breakage and make it more flexible.
Frankincense essential oil can stimulate hair growth, which is one of the oil’s main advantages. There’s speculation that rubbing the oil into the scalp will increase circulation and do wonders for your hair’s health. Additionally, sebum production, which can contribute to hair loss if it is excessive, may be regulated by frankincense oil. Adding a few drops of frankincense oil to a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba oil and massaging it into the scalp is all that’s needed to promote hair growth. Wait at least 30 minutes before washing hair as usual after applying oil.
Here are some of the key ingredients in frankincense essential oil that can help promote hair growth:
- Boswellic acid: Boswellic acid can stimulate blood flow to the hair follicles, which can provide the nutrients and oxygen needed for healthy hair growth.
- Alpha-pinene: Alpha-pinene can improve blood circulation to the scalp, promoting healthy hair growth.
- Limonene: This compound has been shown to promote hair growth by increasing blood flow to the scalp and stimulating hair follicles. Limonene also has antifungal and antibacterial properties that can help to prevent scalp infections.
- Incensole acetate: This compound has been found to stimulate hair growth by activating the pathways that promote hair follicle growth. It can also reduce inflammation in the scalp, which can improve hair growth.
- Octyl acetate: This ester has a pleasant fragrance and can help to improve blood flow to the scalp, promoting healthy hair growth. It can also help to moisturize and nourish the hair and scalp.
Frankincense oil protects and fortifies individual hair strands.
Compounds in frankincense essential oil have been studied for their potential to strengthen hair and reduce breakage. When used regularly, the oil can nourish and protect hair, reducing the likelihood of breakage and shedding. In order to use frankincense oil to strengthen hair, simply add a few drops to your regular shampoo or conditioner, or combine with a carrier oil and massage into the scalp prior to washing.
In addition, a study found that frankincense essential oil increased hair shaft elongation in human hair follicles. This suggests that frankincense essential oil could be a useful ingredient in hair care products for those looking to promote hair growth and thickness.
Here are some of the key ingredients in frankincense essential oil that can help with this:
- Sesquiterpenes: Frankincense essential oil contains high levels of sesquiterpenes, which have been shown to penetrate the hair shaft and protect hair from damage caused by environmental stressors such as pollution, sun exposure, and heat styling. Sesquiterpenes can also help to moisturize and nourish the hair, making it more resilient and less prone to breakage.
- Alpha-pinene: This terpene has antimicrobial properties that can help to prevent scalp infections, which can cause hair to become weak and brittle.
- Incensole acetate: This compound has been found to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which can protect hair from damage caused by free radicals and inflammation. Incensole acetate can also stimulate hair growth and strengthen hair follicles, making hair strands more resistant to damage.
- Limonene: This compound has been shown to help strengthen hair strands and reduce hair breakage. Limonene can also help to improve blood flow to the scalp, which can provide the nutrients and oxygen needed for healthy hair growth.
- Vitamin E: Frankincense essential oil is rich in vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that can help to protect hair from damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin E can also help to moisturize and nourish the hair, making it stronger and more resilient.
Frankinscence oil relaxes and relieves the itchy scalp.
The anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of frankincense essential oil make it useful for soothing an itchy, irritated scalp. This makes it a good option for people with inflammatory scalp conditions like psoriasis or eczema. Mix a few drops of frankincense oil with a carrier oil, like almond or olive oil, and massage into the scalp to relieve an itchy scalp.
Here are some of the key ingredients in frankincense essential oil that can help with itchy scalp:
- Boswellic acid: This compound has anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce scalp inflammation and soothe an itchy scalp.
- Alpha-pinene: This terpene has antimicrobial properties that can help to prevent scalp infections, which can cause itching and discomfort. Alpha-pinene can also help to improve blood circulation to the scalp, which can provide the nutrients and oxygen needed for a healthy scalp.
- Incensole acetate: It has been discovered that this component possesses properties that are anti-inflammatory in nature. These properties can assist in minimizing inflammation and itchiness in the scalp.
- Limonene: Has been demonstrated to possess anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate scalp itchiness. Additionally, limonene can aid in the enhancement of blood circulation in the scalp, resulting in a healthier scalp and better hair growth.
- Octyl acetate: an ester, has a delightful scent and can provide a soothing and calming impact on an itchy scalp.
Frankincense oil can be used as a moisturizer for dry hair.
Some of the active ingredients present in frankincense essential oil can help to provide hydration and nourishment to the hair. These components can aid in maintaining the hair’s moisture levels, preventing it from becoming dry and brittle. They can also strengthen the hair strands and shield them from harmful environmental factors. When applied to dry, brittle hair, frankincense essential oil has a remarkable moisturizing effect. It aids in hydration from the inside out, making hair soft and shiny.
Few drops of frankincense oil, combined with a carrier oil like avocado or grapeseed oil, can be massaged into the scalp and hair to hydrate and revitalize the hair and scalp. Wait at least 30 minutes before washing hair as usual after applying oil.
Frankinscence oil eliminates the appearance of dandruff
Dandruff is a condition that affects the scalp and is often characterized by flaking and itching. Essential frankincense oil may be effective in combating dandruff because it controls sebum production and discourages the development of fungi. According to a study, frankincense essential oil was effective in reducing dandruff in participants with mild to moderate dandruff.
Another study, found that frankincense essential oil had anti-inflammatory effects on human skin cells. This suggests that it could be helpful in reducing inflammation on the scalp and reducing dryness.
Frankincense essential oil can be helpful in reducing the appearance of dandruff. Here are some ways it can help:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Frankincense essential oil contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation on the scalp can cause dandruff, and reducing inflammation can help to alleviate this condition.
- Antifungal properties: Dandruff can be caused by an overgrowth of yeast on the scalp. Frankincense essential oil has antifungal properties that can help to combat this overgrowth and reduce the appearance of dandruff.
- Scalp hydration: Frankincense essential oil can help to hydrate the scalp, which can prevent dryness and flakiness that can lead to dandruff.
- Blood circulation: The improved blood circulation to the scalp that frankincense essential oil can provide may also contribute to a reduction in dandruff.
To use frankincense essential oil for dandruff, you can dilute it in a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil and massage it into the scalp. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing it out with a gentle shampoo. Repeat this process 2-3 times a week for best results. It is also important to maintain good scalp hygiene, such as washing your hair regularly and avoiding products that can dry out your scalp.
Adding a few drops of frankincense oil to a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba oil and massaging it into the scalp is an effective way to get rid of dandruff.